Friday, November 11, 2016

BRIGHTEN UP: YELLOW


Growing up, my mom decorated with all things yellow and tree of life themed.  To this day, her taste remains the same.  Classic, warm, and welcoming are all descriptions that come to mind when I think of the yellow rooms at my parent's home.  Our house was positioned so that it received both the morning light on the front and the afternoon light on the back.  In the summer the sunlight was shaded by the full trees, but in the wintertime the trees were bare, allowing these rooms (particularly the living room) to take on a stunning late afternoon glow.  On winter afternoons, my mom could be found with her companion (Prudence the Pug) reading or catching up on emails, in this sun filled room.  It is spaces like these that can help us get through the gray days ahead.  Color can affect our daily emotions and behaviors, so why not go with a color that makes you happy?  

With this in mind, I recently designed a yellow guest bedroom for one of my clients, which got me thinking about color and trends.  We seem to be stuck in a navy and gray rut.  I think this color combination can be very beautiful, but does everything have to be in these colors?  With this in consideration, I thought I would share inspiration for bright and cheerful yellow rooms.   





Images via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment