Tuesday, November 12, 2013

RED LIPSTICK: SO ICONIC. SO CHIC. SO CLASSIC.



So iconic.  So chic.  So classic.  There is something so alluring about red lipstick!  

My earliest memory of lipstick is of my grandmother.  I remember standing outside, on our back porch.  Her camel coat and leather gloves glamorously shielding her from the winter chill, as she carefully enjoyed her cigarette. I distinctly remember the red stain that always remained at the end of her cigarette; her personal mark.  After her smoke she would pull out one of her many lipstick compacts.  The shiny gold tube would open and with a light twist, the vibrant hue would appear.  She would carefully hold the compact up and form her lips into the perfect shape for application.  The performance was concluded by a soft press of the lips and a smile. 

When I was little, my grandmother gave me one of her lipstick compacts.  It was beaded with navy blues and blacks.  Inside a small rectangular mirror was available for a quick reflection.  When playing dress up, I would often wear my long black gloves with rhinestones along side, and apply the vibrant lipstick.  The act was always concluded with a press of the lips, just as my grandmother had shown me.

As the holidays rapidly approach, I feel that there is no better time for a fresh red hue.  Many shy away from red lipstick because it can be quite bold, however if you select the correct shade, this iconic and chic accessory can be your new holiday favorite!  

How to select the perfect red shade:

If you have Fair Skin
Select a red with a bit of coral or pinkish orange to it.  Try Revlon Super Luscious Lipstick, in Fire and Ice

If you have Medium Skin 
Select a true red or cranberry red.  Try CoverGirl TruShine Lipcolor, in Valentine Shine

If you have Dark Skin 
Select a rich burgundy or wine red.  Try L'Oreal Paris Colour Rich Lipcolour, in Red Rhapsody
First image via pinterest 
Second image via pinterest 
Lipstick selection content via Glamour.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment