Monday, November 4, 2013

ERIC COHLER: THE MIXMASTER


About two and a half years ago I had the opportunity to hear designer, Eric Cohler speak at my college. In addition to sharing the same Alma mater, I felt a close connection towards many of the themes presented during his talk: marry the past and the future instead of blurring it, the importance of a broad education, we not “me”, trusting your eye in a world gone mad, and to specialize at the end of the day. To this day I still review my notes from his talk. I was very fortunate to have heard such an inspiring and meaningful presentation, before setting out in the real world. 

Although Eric Cohler is known as a widely successful designer, he is also personable, friendly, and eager to share his interests and passions. Like myself, Cohler began his collegiate education at Hobart & William Smith Colleges and graduated with a B.A. in English and Art History. Following graduation Cohler went on to acquire a master’s degree in Historic Preservation from the Columbia University School of Architecture and Urban Design.  He also received  a certificate from Harvard Graduate School of Design. Cohler’s work has appeared in numerous magazines, books, and television programs. Among his many accomplishments, Cohler was deemed the title “Mixmaster” for his incorporation of both classic and contemporary elements in his design. 

Last month Eric Cohler returned to Hobart & William Smith Colleges, for another talk. Unfortunately I was unable to attend, luckily my mother happened to be visiting my brother for Parent’s Weekend. In addition to Cohler's presentation, he also offered a book-signing segment. My mother generously attended this session so that I could have a signed copy of Eric Cohler’s, Cohler on Design. The book shares many of the same topics that were brought up in his talk.  Cohler magnificently breaks down his themes and techniques for you to try in your home.  He pairs his dynamic and entertaining text with vibrant inspirational images.  It is a pleasure to read and is "a functional and entertaining guide to decorating (Architectural Digest)." 

I highly recommend Cohler on Design!


Images via www.ericcohler.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment