Tuesday, November 19, 2013

JOHN SINGER SARGENT


Last week I FINALLY had an opportunity to visit the John Singer Sargent exhibit, at the Boston Museum of Fine Art! And to top it off, I enjoyed the collection even more than I anticipated.  From the moment I walked through the doors, Sargent's magnificent energy and use of color welcomed me. 

John Singer Sargent is an American painter who was born in Florence, Italy in 1884.  During the late 1800's Sargent studied painting in Italy and France, where he created quite an uproar with his painting of Madame Gautreau, later renamed Madame X.  Ironically, this piece is now referred to as Sargent's best work of art, and his personal favorite.  Due to this scandal, Sargent relocated to England where his focus shifted to portraits.  Sargent also made frequent trips to the United States to work on public commissions; such as the Boston Public Library and the Museum of Fine Art.  During his later years, Sargent completed over 2,000 watercolors and 900 oil paintings.  His subjects ranged from people in conversation, to bows of ships in a harbor. 

What I love most about this collection,  is the energy that Sargent creates with each brushstroke.  Sargent's use of vibrant colors, juxtaposed with dark shadows is exceptional.  And his ability to capture emotion within the faces of people and a landscape is unlike any other artist.   

After making my way through each room, I became more enthralled by Sargent's work.  I remember studying him among many of the other masters during his time. However viewing art from a slide show is never quite the same as seeing a piece in person.  After the exhibit I was eager to get home, my mind bursting with inspiration from Sargent's work.  This exhibit will be on display until January 20, 2014 and it is something you must see!

Image via www.mfa.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment