Thursday, October 10, 2013

STUDY: MY COLLECTION


Here are a few books from my bookshelf:
What I am currently reading: 
  • The Chaperone: My mum recommended this book and I have enjoyed every minute of it.  A novel about the summer Louis Brooks and her chaperone visited New York City.  
Reading for the evening: 
  • The Great Gatsby: F. Scott Fitzgerald's magnificent portrayal of 1920's America and the American Dream.  This novel has been celebrated throughout the decades.  The most recent representation, Gatsby features Leonardo DiCaprio as the alluring title character.   
  • Rocket Boys: I was a huge fan of the movie, October Sky, and it led me to read the book. I highly recommend this to anyone, at any age.  Rocket Boys inspired me to follow my dream of studying Architecture, even though there were those who said I should not.
  • Rules of Civility: A timeless New York story, where a young girl slowly rises into high society, by her beautiful charm, and the magic of a chance encounter.  
Reading for design inspiration:
  • Victoria Hagan, Interior Portraits 
  • Gil Shafer, The Great American House 
  • Michael Smith, Houses
  • Eric Cohler, Cohler on Design 
Favorite childhood reads:
  • Eloise at The Plaza: New York, Pink, The Plaza, and a Pug.  What’s not to love about Eloise!  My favorite part of the Eloise series is how Hilary Knight magnificently captures the quirky characteristics of the pug breed. As someone who grew up with two pugs, Phoebe and Prudence, I can relate to every illustration.
  • The Very Little Girl: A 1953 publication about a very little girl who grows big enough to have a little brother.  A story identical to my own childhood, when my wonderful younger brother arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment