Tuesday, October 8, 2013

STUDY: THE IMPORTANCE OF BOOKS

I have always loved books.  Growing up, I can remember spending long afternoons in my grandfather’s Study, looking through his expansive collection on anatomy, photography, and architecture.  I started my personal collection at a young age, and it has grown with me over the years.  My current bookshelf features everything from one of the first books my parents shared with me, to college Art History and Architecture books.  When I read one of these books, I am reminded of when and how it came into my life.

At work, I often go into homes to discover there are few or no books. I sometimes wonder if one day everyone will have a Kindle on their coffee table.  Will bookcases no longer serve a purpose in the home, other than to store our electronics?    

Books are not only educational and inspirational, they are also a great decorative and personal element to any living space. If a client asked me to purchase a box of books for their bookshelf, I would find this task incredibly challenging.  A book collection is a personal expression.  The content, history, and purpose of the book are all necessary in creating a distinctive set.  I often find myself opting for inspiration through pinterest or Google searches, but this modern habit does not compare to the natural enjoyment that comes from picking up a book and flipping through the pages. 

I am someone who consistently has a filled cart on Amazon;  design, photography, travel, and fashion books are frequently added.  One day I hope to have a magnificent Study or bookcase to showcase my collection.  Here are a few photographs to inspire your personal Study.


 Image via David Hicks


Image via Suzanne Slesin

Image via Michael Smith, Elle Decor November 2008

Image via Elle Decor

Image via James Huniford

Image via Victoria Hagan, Elle Decor 

Image via Elle Decor 


Image via Jeffrey Bilhuber

No comments:

Post a Comment