Thursday, October 3, 2013

NEW ENGLAND AUTUMN: HOME SWEET HOME

I was very excited when my copy of Gil Shafer’s The American Home, arrived on my doorstep.  To this day, this is one of my favorite design books. Many of Gil Shafer’s designs feature traditional, classic, and livable spaces, similar to the home I grew up in. 

My childhood home is an old farmhouse constructed in 1831 featuring reused doors from the 1700’s, wide plank floors, horsehair insulation, and large fireplaces with beehive ovens.  As a child I didn't understand the unique qualities of an old house.  I remember the sad day, when my little brother dropped my spiral glitter wand, between the wide plank floor boards.  Oh the frustration!  I could see it, but it was beyond my reach.  To this day, the wand remains beneath our bathroom floor.  As the years went on I got over the imperfections of our old house, and gradually fell in love with its charm and character. 

Today I often favor the look of older homes, and for this reason I feel a strong connection to many of the interiors in Shafer’s The American HomeIn honor of Autumn, and the return home, I thought I would feature some of my favorite interiors in Gil Shafer's book.


























Images via Gil Shafer's The Great American Home: Tradition for the Way We Live Now

No comments:

Post a Comment