Tuesday, June 10, 2014

SEA FOAM: MERMAID ASHORE


After a recent trip to Nantucket, I can't seem to get the sea out of my head. The scent of salty air, the cool breeze, and the sound of crashing waves...this is my favorite place.  There is something so spectacular about the ever changing color of the sea.  On sunny day, green plays a leading role, where as a stormy day can lend itself to a very gray and turbulent sea.  In addition to color, the sea is constantly adjusting to reflecting light, making Venice one of the most spectacular cities. 

Growing up in Western Massachusetts, the nearest ocean was two hours away, but this didn't stop me from day dreaming about the sea. I am a mermaid ashore.  Whenever I am by the sea I feel at home, and when I'm away, I'm longing to return. 

When I was younger, I would frequently request day trips to the coast.  I would start my yearly countdown for our Martha's Vineyard vacation, the day after we returned, and my room was always filled with beach treasures.  My heart was at the seaside and I knew that I would one day live closer.  My college search sent me looking for an architecture school at the coast.  I somehow managed to fall in love with a school in the middle of Upstate New York, however, Seneca Lake served as a perfect substitute for four years.  After graduation, I moved to Boston, a perfect city for any sea lover.  I am close to the Cape and Islands, and for those days when I am truly missing the sea, I stroll along the Boston Harborwalk. On a gray rainy day or a sunny summer day, I find the seaside to be one of the most inspiring and therapeutic places on Earth.  






Images via Pinterest 

No comments:

Post a Comment