Monday, August 26, 2013

BLUE & WHITE: THE LAST HURRAH



As the hours of sunlight begin dwindle and the remaining beach days fade, I find myself clinging to that summer feeling for as long as possible.  Labor Day has always felt like the last hurrah of summer.  Growing up, my school was one of the select few that began before Labor Day; a schedule I always considered to be the most preposterous way to start the school year.  With this early start I used to pretend that those first few days of school were practice, they didn't mean anything, and soon I would soon be back enjoying summer.
Here I am, years later and I still feel the need to cling to summer.  As a final hurrah, I have decided to feature blue and white this week.  The combination of blue and white is a longtime favorite of mine.  This crisp and often nautical look has timelessness to it unlike any other color arrangement. 

Above, are photographs of one of my favorite seaside interiors by Victoria Hagan.  Here blue and white create a crisp and classic, nautical living space.  I love Victoria Hagan's use of shiny white walls with contrasting dark metal and wood finishes.  Additionally, the area rug compliments this space as a nautical graphic element, leading visitor's eye to the exterior seaside views.

Whenever I see this room, I want to sit back and enjoy the outside view. I picture myself enjoying a warm summer evening on one of these chairs, with a cool drink in hand, looking out on the harbor in the distance.  Finally my summer is complete.
Images from Victoria Hagan's Interior Portraits


No comments:

Post a Comment