Tuesday, April 10, 2018

OBSESSION: SKIRTED TABLE


While recently reading a few of my favorite design books, I stopped and asked myself "what do I like about these spaces?"  At this moment, I realized that most of the rooms featured skirted tables.  In the past, I have seen this design in frumpy floral patterns, but with solid colors and tailored details these tables take on a fresh look.   

Since discovering this obsession, these skirted tables seem to be everywhere. The design is quite brilliant.  If you have a boring or old table, throw on a skirt.  This design also lends itself to seasonal updates.  Maybe you want a slightly darker and patterned skirt for the wintertime or a crisp white skirt for the summertime. Here are a few things to keep in mind, if you are planning to design a skirted table for your home: 

Tastefully Tailored: Your skirted table should not look like someone threw a table cloth over the top.  Tailored details are a must.  

Pretty Pleats: Add inverted pleats for a timeless tailored look.  

Pattern in Moderation: Select a fabric with little or no pattern.  I am typically drawn to skirted tables in solid fabrics, but if you prefer a pattern, try a tone on tone damask or a subtle stripe.  

It's in the Details: If you are planning to add a skirted table in a solid or subtle patterned fabric, I suggest adding a trim or banding detail to the bottom edge or pleats.  This will help add a decorative element as well as accentuate any tailored details.  

A skirted table is a quick and easy way to add glamour.  This new obsession may even find its way into my home this spring, if it does, I will be sure to share.  In the meantime, here is a bit of skirted table inspiration: 









Images via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment