Friday, December 6, 2013

HOLIDAY: BEACH TREE





Growing up, I always had a small Christmas tree in my bedroom.  When I was younger, this tree was often used for my American Girl Dolls.  As the years went on I continued decorate a small tree. One year I came up with a decorating idea that incorporated two of my favorite things; the ocean and glitter. 

In the summertime, I arrive at the beach and I am instantly at the waterfront in search of stones, seashells, and sea glass. Throughout my bedroom and my apartment, I have various jars and bags of items, that I have collected over the years.  Most of the jars are used as book ends or decorative elements, and there are often loose stones and seashells on my bedside table. With many of the objects in use, there are still bags of left overs, waiting for a creative application. 

I could go on and on about glitter, but let's just keep this simple; glitter is fabulous!  My mum purchased the Martha Stewart holiday ornament glitter set and it instantly sparked my creativity.  I selected various sea glass, shells, and creatures from my beach collections.  I then applied glue and various shades of metallic glitter on each object. After the glitter dried, I applied small white ribbon loops to the shells.  With the sea glass, I looped wire around the entire piece and created a ring for hanging.  I then paired these seaside ornaments with small blue and silver glass balls. I completed my seaside themed tree with beach stones at the trunk.



Images by AGA

No comments:

Post a Comment